As a prepper, I know that having a long-term food storage plan is essential for survival. That’s why I always keep a supply of powdered eggs in my pantry.
They are an excellent source of protein, easy to store, and have a long shelf life. But, how long do powdered eggs last, and how can you make them last even longer?
In this article, I’ll share my experience and knowledge on the topic.
How long do powdered eggs last?
Powdered eggs can last for a long time if stored properly. Most brands of powdered eggs have a shelf life of up to 10 years, but this can vary depending on the manufacturer and storage conditions.
Some factors that can affect the shelf life of powdered eggs include humidity, temperature, and exposure to light.
In my experience, I’ve found that storing powdered eggs in a cool, dry place can help them last even longer. I recommend storing them in airtight containers to prevent moisture from getting in, which can cause clumping and spoilage.
How to make powdered eggs last longer?
If you want to extend the shelf life of your powdered eggs, there are a few things you can do:
- Store them in a cool, dry place: As mentioned earlier, storing powdered eggs in a cool, dry place can help them last longer. Avoid storing them in areas that are exposed to direct sunlight, as this can cause them to spoil faster.
- Use oxygen absorbers: Oxygen absorbers are small packets that are designed to remove oxygen from the air. By adding oxygen absorbers to your powdered egg storage containers, you can help prevent spoilage and extend their shelf life.
- Rotate your stock: To ensure that your powdered eggs don’t go bad, it’s important to rotate your stock regularly. Use the oldest containers first and replace them with new ones as needed.
- Freeze them: Powdered eggs can be frozen to extend their shelf life even further. Simply transfer them to an airtight container or a freezer bag and place them in the freezer. Frozen powdered eggs can last up to 25 years!
How to prepare powdered eggs?
Now that you know how to make your powdered eggs last longer, it’s time to learn how to prepare them. Powdered eggs can be used in a variety of recipes, such as scrambled eggs, omelets, and baked goods. Here’s how to prepare them:
- Measure the powdered eggs: The ratio of water to powdered eggs will vary depending on the brand you use. Check the package for instructions on how much powdered eggs to use per serving.
- Add water: In a bowl, whisk together the powdered eggs and water until smooth. The consistency should be similar to regular scrambled eggs.
- Cook: Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and add the egg mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally until the eggs are set.
In conclusion, powdered eggs are a versatile and long-lasting food item that every prepper should have in their pantry.
By storing them properly and taking the necessary precautions to prevent spoilage, you can ensure that they last for years to come.
And when it comes time to prepare them, they can be used in a variety of recipes to add protein to your meals. So, stock up on powdered eggs and be prepared for anything that comes your way!