Have you ever considered ditching your rent or mortgage payment and hitting the road in a van for survival?
While it may seem like a radical idea, there are actually many advantages to living in a van, especially in a disaster or post-apocalyptic scenario. But like anything in life, there are also some disadvantages to consider before making the big switch.
- Mobility: One of the biggest advantages of living in a van is the ability to travel to different locations at a moment’s notice. This is especially useful for avoiding natural disasters or dangerous situations.
- Cost Savings: Living in a van eliminates the need for rent or mortgage payments and can lead to significant savings in the long run. This money can be used to stock up on supplies, fuel, and other necessities.
- Self-Sufficient Living: With a van, you have everything you need to live comfortably and sustainably on the road. You can install bed, kitchen, and bathroom facilities, as well as solar panels and other systems to generate power and heat.
- Flexibility: With a van, you have the freedom to choose where you want to live and work, without the constraints of a traditional home. Whether you’re seeking adventure, solitude, or a community, a van can provide it.
- Limited Space: Living in a van can be cramped and uncomfortable, especially if you’re used to a spacious home. You’ll need to be highly organized and make the most of limited space, which can be a challenge.
- Maintenance and Repairs: Owning and maintaining a van requires time and effort and can be expensive if repairs are needed. You’ll also need to be knowledgeable about basic mechanical skills, as breakdowns on the road can be inconvenient and potentially dangerous.
- Isolation: While some people enjoy the solitude of living on the road, others may find it lonely and isolating. You’ll need to make an effort to connect with other people and form relationships, whether it’s through social media, meetups, or community gatherings.
- Uncertainty: Living in a van can also be unpredictable, as you never know what challenges you may face on the road. You’ll need to be flexible, resourceful, and resilient in order to overcome these obstacles.
Below you can see 2 videos. The top one is a great van conversion, and the other (on the bottom) is the ultimate survival van.
Most of us can’t just go out and buy that, but maybe you can use the video to gather inspiration. Either way, both videos are great 🙂
Living in a van for survival has its pros and cons, just like any other lifestyle choice. But for those who value mobility, cost savings, self-sufficiency, and flexibility, it can be an excellent option. So why not give it a try and hit the road for a new adventure?
Just remember to stock up on snacks, as you never know when you’ll be in the middle of nowhere with a craving for something crunchy!